What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is basically a steroid hormone, which is secreted by male testicles. It is plays a key role in developing male reproductive tissues in men. So, it is responsible for monitoring the sex drive in males, as it controls the production of sperm. It also promotes many secondary sexual characteristics; some of them are enlisted below:
- Increases bone mass
- Promotes growth of the body hair
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Increases the formation of muscles
- Maintains fat distribution
- Controls red blood cell production
As men start to age, the level of production of testosterone in their body tends to decrease. This may results in various signs and symptoms, which signifies that a person is aging. The person may come across some changes in their sleep patterns and sexual desires as well. Moreover, some emotional and physical changes in the body also signify lower production of testosterone in the body.
However, the testosterone therapy is specifically designed to increase the level of testosterone in the body, and thus preventing the signs of aging to show up early. In order to diagnose the level of testosterone in the body, blood test is the only way to do so.
Effects of Testosterone Therapy
Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) is basically designed to enhance the testosterone levels back to normal. Although it boosts up man’s energy, motivation and sex drive, but it still has some harmful effects on the human body. Some of the pros and cons of testosterone therapy are discussed below:
Pros of having Testosterone Therapy:
- Testosterone replacement therapy renews man’s interest in sex
- Enhances the man’s ability to maintain erection
- Improves man’s overall health
- Researchers claim that the level of testosterone and the life expectancy are directly proportional to one another. This means that men with lower levels of testosterone are more prone to die earlier.
- Increases the muscle mass
- Lowers down the mass of fat
- The increased level of testosterone strengthens man’s bones, and thus helps in preventing osteoporosis.
- Right proportion also controls the blood sugar, and hence prevents diabetes.
- Improves man’s mood.
- Boosts up the energy level.
Cons of having Testosterone Therapy:
- It increases the risk of blood clotting in men, which can ultimately lead to stroke.
- It may contribute to sleep apnea. It is basically a sleep disorder in which the person faces some breathing difficulties.
- It can cause various skin problems, especially acne.
- Significant enlargement of breasts is also a major set-back.
- This therapy limits the production of sperm, which directly affects the level of fertility.
- In some cases, there are also some chances of testicle shrinkage.
- It stimulates the non-cancerous growth of prostate glands, and in some cases it can also increases the risk of existing prostate cancer.
- If someone else touches the medicated area, they might have some chances of getting inflicted by some side effects, including excessive hair growth and premature puberty incase of children.
Testosterone heat attack is also one very important point that you must know about taking the testosterone.